Monday, May 24, 2010

Drewshbagging it in Santorini

So my extended tour of the Greek islands got increased yet again as my 3 days in Santorini evolved into 5 as I moved in with five Seattlonians (Seattlites? Seattlovians?) who made me an honourary Americaner for our much to brief time together.

Santorini was an amazing island that illustrated some of the most obvious extremes in modern Greece. Between it's towns, beaches, roving animals and obvious economic indicators Santorini proved to be much more than a honeymooner's paradise.

Santorini boasts three major towns I was able to visit - Oia, Fira & Perissa. Oia is this idyllic, gravity defying village that is nestled on the Northern tip of the island. It's a honeymooners paradise with it's stunning vistas, sunsets and glowing white hotels that hang almost precariously over the sea in a stunning fashion. Perissa has developed along a 2 mile stretch of beach on the islands Southeastern plains and appears to be the destination of choice for backpackers or Anglophiles looking to spend their summer as a "fly ho"* or other bar and restaurant staff. Appropriately for this party town and in contrast to Oia's romantic evenings, Perissa's sunrises are a major attraction for party-goers stumbling home after a quick stop at one of the several 24 hour bakeries that serve the best damn Nutella croissants this kid has ever gotten all over his shirt.
Cats vs. Dogs - I'm sure this metaphor can be played out in many ways but Greece's roving packs of wild pets have even found their own pockets on this island. Oia tends to be dominated by docile cats stretched out in the summer sun while Perissa's bands of dogs have found their homes under the chairs of bar patrons, digging holes on her pristine black sand beach and providing walking companions on the way home from the bar. I even found the only dog I've ever wanted to pack in my backpack and take home with me: Ears. She was half husky- half mutt with one blue eye and one brown and ears that stuck out at 9 & 3. If you ever venture to Perissa and find Ears in the puppy mix you give her a good pet for me (and then wash your hands - I think she has fleas).

Red vs. Black Sand - As an aspiring vulcanologist I can tell you that Santorini is a volcanic island (fact). The benefit of this magmatic activity are the outstanding black sand and red sand beaches. There's no clear winner in this contest aside from those who get to enjoy their graces.

Economic Disparities - In contrast to Oia's glittering buildings that seem unchanged in a dozen years Perissa was clearly undergoing a construction boom until recent troubles. The money that poured into this beach town to elevate it to the next level is now highlighted by unfinished concrete shells where work has come to a standstill. So far this has been the most obvious display of Greece's current economic woes through my island tour but it's telling of the impact of the economic crisis.

Staying vs. Leaving - Moving in with the five Seattlavians and out of Anna's Youth Hostel was a welcome change especially considering this crew put the rad in radishes. Settling into the semblance of a real apartment would have proved all too easy and Santorini's charms certainly had me getting lost in a sea of black sand and nutella croissants. Take this as a word of caution or what have you but the Greek islands have an amazing capacity to suck you in and not let you go. I have never been so unaware of time, dates and the outside world in my life as I have been over these last two weeks touring Mykonos, Ios, Santorini and now Rhodes. It's a wonderful feeling that's a blessed mix of freedom, pure relaxation with the tinge of a constant hangover. Overall Santorini was a total blast and I hope to be reunited with the Sunscreen Magnates of Perissa Beach sometime soon. Until then and having spent only a day in Rhodes I must say that so far I am utterly smitten with this new island but I have places to see on this trip and a EuroRail pass that's feeling lonely amongst all this ferry travel.




I'd like to close this post with a list of hilarious things:


1) Ruining the dinner of families by yelling at the moon while drinking on the beach
2) The D.E.N.N.I.S. system
3) Drewshbag - Defined as being in or related to the state of drunken Drew. This includes but is not limited to limp-wristed high-fives, blackouts, banging on the door of shared hostel rooms, and giving speeches about not being "those Americans" 4 hours prior to completing all of the above.
4) Strategies to break up perfect couples.

*"Fly Ho" is the complimentary term given to the lovely ladies who post fliers for their bar's evening events and comb the beach to make sure revelers know where to go for their free shots that evening.

1 comment:

  1. we are television soulmates. evidence: i watched the D.E.N.N.I.S system episode for the first time last night.

    ReplyDelete